Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is great when you're getting over having a cold -- or at other times, too. If you don't like it too spicy, reduce the amount of cayenne pepper. The salsa is definitely optional. You can alter the recipe a great deal just by changing the vegetable combination. I cook the chicken in the microwave because it's quick and easy. I use canned chicken broth and chop the vegetables fresh, though you could buy the veggies frozen. I buy jars of minced garlic to have on hand for other cooking. Makes a good-sized potful.
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 3 -4 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3 cups vegetables, sliced (onion, celery, and carrots)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- Heat the broth almost to boiling.
- Add vegetables and seasonings.
- Simmer for maybe half an hour to soften vegetables.
- Add the pasta and chicken.
- Simmer until the pasta and veggies are done.
Quite good-- I added green beans and more seasonings. I think the salsa is a great idea.
This was really well liked by the family. DH & DS aren't usually "soup" kinda guys, but neither could deny the simple, yet delicious combination of ingredients. I used a smidge less cayenne but next time will use the full amount. Thanks for a great tasting & easy soup recipe, Ladydaungerous! Made, enjoyed & reviewed for Pick-A-Chef Spring 2008.