Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my absolute favorite version of green bean casserole. I've brought this to many potlucks and I am always asked for the recipe. My mushroom-phobic DH even loves this dish!
- 453.59 g fresh green beans
- 14.79 ml butter
- 29.58 ml finely chopped onions
- 340.19 g diced ham
- 170.09 g finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 304.75 g canreduced sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 44.37 ml low-fat milk
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese
- 118.29 ml French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F Cut green beans to to desired serving size.
- Boil green beans until cooked to desired softness.
- In a skillet, melt butter & add onions, cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms & cook for 5 minutes, then add ham & cook until just browned.
- Add soup, milk, cayenne pepper, & green beans to the skillet & mix all together to coat well.
- Grease a 13" x 9" casserole dish & add mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven & add crispy onion topping, then bake for an additional 5 minutes or until onions are golden.
Wonderful change from the normal green bean casserole. I liked the addition of the cheese, as well as the sauted onions and fresh mushrooms. I cheated as it was just me eating this today, so I just cooked it all in fry pan that I could then put in the oven. Thanks for another great recipe Mama Jennie.
This was a hit in my house too. Served it at a picnic this weekend and brought home an empty dish.
This one was a winner with us! DH and I both love green bean casserole, but this has got to be the best we've ever had! It is all the better than the traditional kind, from using the ham, cheese, and fresh mushrooms and onions! This is the only way I'll ever make green bean casserole from now on!! DH has raved and raved!!