Recipe by Mama_Jennie
This is my absolute favorite version of green bean casserole. I've brought this to many potlucks and I am always asked for the recipe. My mushroom-phobic DH even loves this dish!
Top Review by diner524
Wonderful change from the normal green bean casserole. I liked the addition of the cheese, as well as the sauted onions and fresh mushrooms. I cheated as it was just me eating this today, so I just cooked it all in fry pan that I could then put in the oven. Thanks for another great recipe Mama Jennie.
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 12 ounces diced ham
- 6 ounces finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) canreduced sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup French-fried onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Cut green beans to to desired serving size.
- Boil green beans until cooked to desired softness.
- In a skillet, melt butter & add onions, cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms & cook for 5 minutes, then add ham & cook until just browned.
- Add soup, milk, cayenne pepper, & green beans to the skillet & mix all together to coat well.
- Grease a 13" x 9" casserole dish & add mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven & add crispy onion topping, then bake for an additional 5 minutes or until onions are golden.