1/1 Photo of Jeni's Splendid Roasted Strawberry and Buttermilk Ice Cream
1 hr 15 mins
Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream is very famous out of Columbus Ohio. She generously gave one of her recipes in Ohio Magazine June 2011 issue.She said she puts some cream cheese in her recipes to give it some body. Timing does not include 4 hour freezing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Hull strawberries and slice. Combine strawberries with sugar in an 8" square glass or ceramic baking dish, stirring gently to mix well. Roast for 8 minutes, or until just soft. Let cool slightly. Puree in a food processor with lemon juice. Measure 1/2 cup of the pureed berries; refrigerate the rest of the puree for another use.
- 2Mix about 2 Tbls of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry. Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
- 3Combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar and corn syrup in a 4-quart saucepan, bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heat-proof spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- 4Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture in to the cream cheese until smooth.Add the buttermilk and reserved strawberry puree and blend well. Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon Ziploc freezer bag and submerge the sealed bag in the ice bath. Let stand, adding more ice as necessary, until cold, about 30 minutes.
- 5Pour the ice cream mixture into the frozen canister of electric ice cream freezer and run according to directions of ice cream maker. Pack the finished ice cream into a storage container, press a sheet of parchment directly against the surface, and seal with an airtight lid. Freeze in the coldest part of your freezer until firm, at least 4 hours. Makes about 1 quart.
- 6Serve with refrigerated strawberry puree poured over the top.
Browse Our Top Ice Cream Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jeni's Splendid Roasted Strawberry and Buttermilk Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.1
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 63.6 mg
- Sodium 105.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 3.2 g