Recipe by HotPepperRosemaryJelly
I love homemade baked beans! The real thing is a great treat and much better than whatever comes from a can no matter how it is doctored up! I always make homemade baked beans for the 4th and this year will be no different! :)
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄4 lb barbecued beef
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and sort beans, discarding any stones or shriveled beans.
- Put beans in a large saucepan, cover with three cups of water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, (adding more water if necessary, up to two cups) until beans are tender from one to one and a half hours.
- Drain and reserve water.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Layer beans, sugar, onions, molasses, and barbecued beef. I use leftovers from a previous grilling. Make sure you end with a top layer of beans. I recommend using a bean pot or ovenproof dish if you don't have a bean pot.
- Stir in soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, mustard, and salt to taste.
- Add reserved bean water and up to one cup more water to cover.
- Bake uncovered for five to six hours, stirring occasionally. If beans start to get too brown on top, cover with a lid or aluminum foil.