Recipe by That Napa Chicken Ranch
It is very important to have the correct amount of batter for your jelly roll pan. Here is one that fits my commercial sized pan.
Top Review by mersaydees
This is wonderful with fabulous directions apparently written with lots of love. My first try wasn't as spongy as I'd like, yet I firmly believe that is strictly related to experience. In my opinion, if you haven't made a jelly roll in over a year, make one as a refresher before you make the one you're going to serve company! Thanks, Grace at Sweet Grace's! Made for My 3 Chefs 2008.
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 eggs, seperated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) jar raspberry jam (or filling of your choosing)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a 11 x 17 inch sheet pan, line with wax paper. Grease and lightly flour the paper.
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 400.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour and baking powder. Stir together egg yolks, vanilla and melted butter.
- Mix in half the flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a large bowl until soft peaks begin to form. Gradually beat in granulated sugar until stiff, glossy peaks form. Fold one large spoonful of beaten egg white mixture into yolk mixture, then add into the remaining egg white mixture and partially fold together.
- Sift remaining flour mixture over the top. Gently fold together until thoroughly mixed.
- Quickly spread batter in prepared sheet pan.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- Sift 2 Tbsp of powdered sugar onto a clean kitchen towel. Invert the cake onto it and gently remove the paper. Trim about 1/2 inch from the edges.
- Starting with one long edge, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Wrap in a towel and let cool (about 1 hour)
- Unroll cake onto a board. Spread with filling. Reroll, placing seam down. Sift remaining powdered sugar over top. Let rest for an hour. Cut into slices and serve.