Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This one is based on a Fanny Farmer recipe. The corn starch gives it a different texture.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar, in a sprinkle can
- jelly or jam
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 10 1/2 by 15 1/2 inch jelly roll pan, or spray with Pam spray.
- Cover it w/ wax or parchment paper the size of the pan and place over the oiled surface.
- Brush with butter.
- Using an electric beater, or a rotary whisk, beat the egg yolks until thickened and lemony colored.
- Add the vanilla and set aside.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the salt and continue beating until the whites form stiff peaks but are not dry.
- Slowly add the sugar and continue beating until the eggs are stiff, but not dry.
- Spoon the whites over the yolks, and sprinkle the cornstarch and flour over the top.
- Fold gently until blended.
- Spread in the prepared pan and bake for about 12 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, liberally dust a kitchen towel with the powdered sugar.
- When the cake is done, turn it out onto the towel, carefully remove the wax paper and trim off any crisp edges.
- Roll the cake up in the towel from the long side and let it rest for a minute.
- Unroll it and let it rest for a few minutes, then roll it up in the towel again and let it cool completely.
- Unroll, spread all over with the jelly or jam, right to the edges.
- Roll up without the towel and sprinkle with the powdered sugar.
- Slice and serve.