Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Nice spongey, eggy, jelly roll recipe.
- 5 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 5 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Beat egg yolks until thicken and lemon colored.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, the lemon juice and the lemon zest.
- Beat egg whites until almost stiff then gradually beat in the remaining 1/3 cup sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold yolk mixture into whites.
- Sift dry ingredients into a separate container.
- Add to egg mixture, folding in carefully.
- Fold in melted butter.
- Pour batter into waxed paper-lined 10x15x1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Turn onto a clean kitchen towel which has been generously dusted with confectioners' sugar.
- Trim edges, if necessary.
- Roll cake up, towel and all, while still warm.
- Let cool completely.
- Unroll and fill with whipped cream or ice cream then re-roll cake.
I used this for tiramisu because I couldn't find ladyfingers - it worked great!