1/4 Photos of Jelly Jar Biscuits
Secret Agent's Note:
These biscuits are our new favorite! They are very light and flaky! It's actually a delightful mistake I made on my everyday biscuits that was a serendipitous treat. Crunchy on the outside and tender in the middle. This makes six nice sized biscuits when cut with a jelly jar. Serve with biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, or beef stew. Make sure your oven is really heated for a longer length of time than usual. I use a pizza stone in my oven all the time to ensure even and constant heat. It really helps baked goods along the road to perfection. PLEASE NOTE - You can use a lot more milk in this recipe if needed. Just add until you get a soft biscuit consistency. I have used anywhere from 1/4 cup to 2/3 cup depending on the humidity and flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 425* F.
- 2Do not mix your wet and dry ingredients together until the oven is very hot or you will not have fluffy biscuits.
- 3After the oven is screaming hot, sift dry ingredients together and stir to make sure they are mixed well.
- 4Add shortening to the biscuit mix and cut in with a pastry cutter or two knives until the lumps are as small peas.
- 5Add the cold milk and stir until it barely clings together.
- 6By hand, knead three or four times.
- 7Turn out onto a floured board and pat into a disk about 1/2 inch high.
- 8Cut with a floured jelly jar ( 2 1/2"), give the tops a gentle poke, re-roll scraps and cut, sprinkle each top with a little flour.
- 9Place biscuits on a sheet pan or cookie sheet with parchment. The closer you put them together the softer they are. I don't let mine touch usually.
- 10Put into the center of the oven.
- 11Bake about 11 minutes. Depending on the size of the biscuits you can bake them from 8 to 15 minutes. So keep an eye on them.
- 12This recipe can easily double or even quadruple.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jelly Jar Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.1
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 376.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: