Recipe by walking
These are the real thing--they taste like the doughnuts that are sold.
Top Review by UmmIbrahim
This was my first experience making any sort of doughnuts and they were fabulous!! They came out light and fluffy. I filled them with raspberry and strawberry jam and dusted them with granulated sugar. I liked them better than what I get outside! Rather than cognac, I used a teaspoon of Uncle Pank's almond extract. Made about 30 doughnuts. I'll be making these again and again! Thanks for posting!
- 4 cups flour
- 100 g margarine (1 stick)
- 30 g yeast (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cognac
- 3 drops vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast+ 1 teaspoon sugar in a little water.
- Put all the other ingredients into a bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Mix and knead till smooth.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Knead again, return to fridge for 1/2 hour.
- Roll out to 3 cent. thick (a little more than an inch), shape your doughnuts (you can use the right size glass or doughnut cutter).
- Let rise 1/2 hour.
- Deep fry at 375°F, till golden, flip over when doughnut rises to top of oil and let the other side become golden as well. Remove.
- Fill with desired jelly (or a square of chocolate which will melt in the warm dough).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.