Prep 55 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are the real thing--they taste like the doughnuts that are sold.
- 4 cups flour
- 100 g margarine (1 stick)
- 30 g yeast (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cognac
- 3 drops vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- Dissolve yeast+ 1 teaspoon sugar in a little water.
- Put all the other ingredients into a bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Mix and knead till smooth.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Knead again, return to fridge for 1/2 hour.
- Roll out to 3 cent. thick (a little more than an inch), shape your doughnuts (you can use the right size glass or doughnut cutter).
- Let rise 1/2 hour.
- Deep fry at 375°F, till golden, flip over when doughnut rises to top of oil and let the other side become golden as well. Remove.
- Fill with desired jelly (or a square of chocolate which will melt in the warm dough).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This was my first experience making any sort of doughnuts and they were fabulous!! They came out light and fluffy. I filled them with raspberry and strawberry jam and dusted them with granulated sugar. I liked them better than what I get outside! Rather than cognac, I used a teaspoon of Uncle Pank's almond extract. Made about 30 doughnuts. I'll be making these again and again! Thanks for posting!