Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
From the Cake Mix Dr. to the bellies of my munchkin loving kids! You can use your favorite jellies in the filling...we've tried pear preserves with powdered sugar and cinnamon topping, cherry jam with chocolate icing, lemon curd, and left over 'creme' filling from whoopie pies.
Top Review by ericakellyr
I have this book and these cupcakes are a masterpiece! I handed a bunch of them out to family and had them calling all night saying how good they were! I'm making these for my daughter's birthday instead of a cake!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 (12 ounce) jar blueberry preserves or 1 (12 ounce) jar raspberry preserves
- powdered sugar, for coating
- granulated sugar, for coating
- cinnamon sugar, for coating
- icing, of choice for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*F. Grease 24 muffin cups (standard or mini); set aside.
- Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds; stop mixer and scrape down sides of bowl.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 1 1/2-2 minutes more, scraping sides down if needed.
- Scoop a heaping 1/4 cup batter (about 1/2 that if using mini tins)into each muffin cup, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake until cupcakes are golden and springy when touched with a finger, 18-20 minutes; cool on racks 5 minutes.
- Loosen edges of cakes with a butter knife and carefully remove from molds; cool 15 minutes on wire racks.
- Fit a pastry bag with a tip that has a large round hole (or use a plastic baggie and snip off a corner) and fill with preserves or desired filling.
- Insert the entire tip into the top center of cupcake; generously squirt 2 tsp.-1 tablespoons filling (a little less for minis)into each cupcake. You may need to wipe the tip clean as you go.
- Dust each cupcake with powdered sugar or glaze and decorate with sprinkles; serve.
- Store at room temperature, covered, up to 3 days or 1 week in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.