Cook1 hr 30 mins
These are fun and especially fun for kids birthdays. I shaped mine into baskets and filled them with a few lollies but the original recipe shapes them into 'creatures'! Spiders, dinosaurs, snakes! Today I used lime but any colour or flavour jelly would work perfectly. The secret is to add the sugar/jelly crystals slowly. Take your time and don't rush. Yield is just approximate. It depends on how large you make your creation! An Australian cup is 250ml.
- Preheat oven to 100°C.
- Combine egg whites and salt in a large, clean bowl.
- Beat or whisk until firm peaks form.
- Mix the jelly crystals and caster sugar together and with the mixer still running slowly add the sugar mix to the egg whites. A tablespoon at a time making sure the sugar dissolves.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle, and pipe “creature” shapes onto an oven tray lined with bake paper.
- Or with a couple of large soup spoons scoop your mix into 2-3 inch circle. Hollow out the centres to leave room to fit a couple of lollies later once cooked.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, then remove from the oven and cool.
- Add lollies or any decorations. Eyes etc for creatures.