Recipe by Maryland Jim
Here is another cookie recipe from the "1001 Cookie Recipes" Cookbook. My youngest son really likes these and I usually have to make at least two batches, one for him and one for the rest of the family.
Top Review by mydesigirl
These were good but the dough was so hard to work with. It was very crumbly. I used strawberry preserves and habanero/apricot hot jelly...LOL! I got 2 dozen out of this but I think that I made them a bit big. Thanks for posting! Made for 12 Days of Christmas recipe Swap.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- about 1/2 cup jelly (I usually use homemade grape jelly) or jam (I usually use homemade grape jelly)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and sugar. Beat in the egg. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Gradually blend the flour.
- Pinch off walnut-size pieces of the dough and rool into balls. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Press your finger into the center of each cookie to make an indention. Fill each cookie with a little jelly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly colored. Cool on wire rack.