Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here is another cookie recipe from the "1001 Cookie Recipes" Cookbook. My youngest son really likes these and I usually have to make at least two batches, one for him and one for the rest of the family.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- about 1/2 cup jelly (I usually use homemade grape jelly) or jam (I usually use homemade grape jelly)
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and sugar. Beat in the egg. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Gradually blend the flour.
- Pinch off walnut-size pieces of the dough and rool into balls. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Press your finger into the center of each cookie to make an indention. Fill each cookie with a little jelly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly colored. Cool on wire rack.
These were good but the dough was so hard to work with. It was very crumbly. I used strawberry preserves and habanero/apricot hot jelly...LOL! I got 2 dozen out of this but I think that I made them a bit big. Thanks for posting! Made for 12 Days of Christmas recipe Swap.