Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I've always wondered if one could flavor the popular meringue cookies with jello, but I never had the nerve to try it. Then I was given this recipe for the very thing! I cannot wait to try these.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup gelatin powder, any preferred flavor (regular, not diet jello)
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F. Move rack to center of the oven. Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add the jello powder 2 tablespoons at a time while continuing to beat. The meringue should form stiff peaks.
- Drop mixture onto lined cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven 1 hour. Turn oven off and allow meringues to stand in unopened oven at least an hour.
- Store in tightly sealed containers.
- NOTE: If you prefer, substitute regular sugar for the jello.
- Chopped drained maraschino cherries, mini-chocolate chips or chopped nuts may be mixed into the batter.
I made these tonight... or rather, I attempted at making them. Unfortunately I do not know enough about making Meringues to fully understand your directions. I set my oven to 400Â°C but was unsure whether or not to leave it on after I put the meringues in. I will make another attempt at these as the flavour was REALLY good (as long as you didn't eat the very burnt bottom). I will re-review once I have mastered these!
you say to preheat the oven at 225 degrees, but is it celcius or ferenheit? it can make a BIG difference! ^^