Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I made these fun little guys for my 14 mo. old nephew and they were perfect! Being so young, it was better for him to eat a "Jello orange" than a real one. These were a hit with the whole family--not just the kids! Originally I found the recipe somewhere online, and I have found that its best to keep to the orange flavors, as other rinds have a more bitter taste that changes the taste of the Jello.
- Slice the fruit cleanly in half lengthwise (through the axis).
- Carefully remove the pulp while keeping the half rind fully intact.
- Ensure that the rinds are dry (you can use paper towels to blot them).
- Set each half rind upright in a muffin pan so you can fill it with Jello.
- Mix the water with the gelatin (just like you would to make jigglers).
- You'll want the Jello a little firmer than the normal recipe as you have to slice it in half again.
- Make sure that the gelatin is well dissolved, and then pour into the fruit before it begins to set.
- Fill up as high as you can, the Jello will shrink a bit when cooling.
- Carefully transfer to the fridge and let set for about three hours, per box directions.
- When the Jello is set, place the fruit open-side down on a cutting board, hold it's shape with one hand and carefully slice in half lengthwise again to form quarters.
- Be careful not to smash the fruit as you'll want to keep the Jello intact (you may use a serrated knife).
- Ready to serve!
changed the recipe to be able to make multiple flavors with different alcohols,, for an adult party, 1 small box of jello, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of alcohol (vodka, rum, tequila),, these went over amazingly,,, everyone loved them,,, the best was berry blue with rum and island pineapple with vodka,,,, if you want to have a fun party these are the way to go,,, a little bit of work but so much fun ...... thanks for a great idea.....
Loved it! My 2 year old had a go and rejected them, and my 5 year old inhaled them... jello/jelly isn't really available here so it's a new taste for the little un and a favourite treat when we have it for the older one. My good Zaar friend Toni sent me the jello from the USA and it arrived yesterday so this is the first thing I made, gotta put it to good use directly! Please see my rating system: a wonderful reminder of a childhood birthday parties in New Zealand, and a special treat now that I can only have a treasured stash from time to time. It's easy to make, but I could only find oranges with very thin peel so needed to ease out the orange very carefully.It still works fine. Yum! Thanks!
What an excellent idea! It took me awhile to removed all the pulp and still keep the skin in tact, but the end product turned out great. I took these to a church potluck and everyone kept asking how I got the jello in each wedge! :) The kids especially enjoyed these!