Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Chill time is 3 hours.
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust, chilled
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix or 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagevegetarian instant lemon pudding mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄8 cups water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Combine pudding, 1/2 sugar, lemon juice, and 1/8 cup water in a saucepan.
- Blend in egg yolks, remaining cup of water and milk.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth, and beat 1/2 of pie filling into the cheese.
- Stir butter into the other 1/2 of the pie filling.
- Beat egg whites until foamy throughout; gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and continue beating until stiff, shiny peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into pudding-cheese mixture, and spread evenly in pie crust.
- Chill 5 minutes.
- Spoon remaining pie filling over the top and chill 3 hours before serving.