Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is the best pizza dough ever! Remember to oil the pizza pan when you put the dough on to prevent sticking and make the bottom golden brown and slightly crunchy, enough that its not soggy. No need to pre-bake this crust! The prep time includes assembling the pizza.
- 14.79 ml dry yeast
- 295.73 ml warm water
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml sugar
- In a medium bowl (I used a measuring cup), combine the WARM water (not too hot or you'll kill the yeast), sugar and yeast until dissolved. Leave for 5 - 10 minutes until the yeast activates and the mixture develops a layer of froth on the surface.
- In a large bowl, mix the sea salt and flour and make a well in the center. Add the yeast and olive oil. Mix together with a fork or wooden spoon, and then use your hands until the dough comes together.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth, shiny and elastic (about 5 - 10 minutes) or allow the kitchen aid to do this. If the dough is too sticky or soft, add a little extra flour or if it's too dry and crumbly, add a little water.
- Shape the dough into a round ball and place in a large, oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth for roughly 45 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough to remove the air and place it on a lightly floured work surface. Divide in 2 and shape each piece into round disks (this step requires common sense, meaning if you want small 6" pizzas or if you scale the recipe for more people you will need to divide the dough into more balls).
- Place the dough balls on a sheet of parchment. Cover with a light coating of oil and let them rise again, for about 20 minutes.
- Dough is now ready to add whatever toppings you like bake in a 400°F oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes (less or more time as required). Keep an eye on it until the cheese browns and the crust looks done to your liking.
This recipe made a lovely pizza dough. It was a wonderful base for our mini pizzas. So good, thin, crisp yet tender on the inside. Thanks for sharing this great recipe, that I will make again and again. The pizza's turned out perfect. Made during Fall Pac 2012