Recipe by True Texas
My aunt clipped this recipe from the newspaper many years ago. I found it among her recipe collection.
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 9 inches baked pie crusts
- 2 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1 cup sugar, flour, egg and egg yolks in top of a double boiler.
- Add half and half and milk. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat; add spices, vanilla and butter, stirring until butter melts.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites at high speed of an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar gradually, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Top pie with meringue and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until top is browned.