Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is from the Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian. I use amaretto instead of brandy, but either version is fabulous!
- 1 1⁄2 cups espresso, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 (8 ounce) package ladyfingers
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, shaved
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup fresh whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- cocoa powder
- additional chocolate shavings
- Stir the expresso, sugar and brandy/amaretto together until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove 1/3 of the coffee mixture to another bowl and set the remainder aside. Whisk the egg yolks into the 1/3 cup mixture. Add the marscapone and whisk together until smooth. Don't overmix.
- Line a loaf pan with a large sheet of wax paper. Tuck it carefully into the corners. There should be a lot of wax paper remaining outside the pan.
- Dip the ladyfingers one at a time into the reserved coffee mixture and begin to place them crosswide in the lined pan. They will expand when soaked with coffee. This will take only a few seconds, don't leave them too long or they will fall apart. Line the whole bottom of the pan (7 ladyfingers). Spread with half the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with 2 oz of the shaved chocolate.
- Repeat layers of ladyfingers, cheese and shaved chocolate.
- Top the pan off with the remaining soaked ladyfingers.
- Fold the wax paper up around the top of the pan, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Invert the chilled loaf pan onto a serving platter and tap the bottom of the pan to remove the loaf. Remove the wax paper.
- Place the cream, vanilla and confectioners sugar in a bowl and whip until stiff. Spread the whipped cream all over the cake in an attractive manner.
- Dust the cake with cocoa and decorate with shaved chocolate.
- Slice to serve.