Recipe by Studentchef
This is a typical recipe from the Punjabi region in northern India. The recipe itself is from Indianrecipesforever.com.
Top Review by Rita~
Love rice. I did pan fry the onions, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds, peppercorns then added to a rice cooker along with rice and water. I did use almonds in place of the cashews. Made for Feb Sun and Spice. Thanks
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons jeera powder (cumin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 3 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons ghee
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice and soak in water for half an hour.
- Heat ghee in a heavy saucepan, add cashew nuts. Fry until brown. Take them out and keep aside. Add onions, bayleafs, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds, peppercorns to the same ghee and fry for a while.
- Add the rice , salt, water and stir. Cover with a lid and simmer the flame.
- Cook until the rice is done.
- Serve jeera rice hot, topped with the cashew nuts, with any spicy curry or raita.