Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Traditionally Wacky Cake is chocolate but my Mom needed a white cake when I was young so she made a small change to the recipe by adding custard powder instead of cocoa. My wife keeps up the tradition (wacky cakes are the only cakes we make) and chooses the color of cake depending on the occasion. It is a great cake on a summer afternoon topped with whipped cream and your favourite fresh fruit.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons custard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons melted shortening
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold water
- Sift flour, sugar, custard powder,soda and salt into an ungreased 8"x8" baking dish.
- Punch 3 holes in the flour mixture and add the shortening in the largest hole, vinegar in the next and vanilla in the last hole.
- Cover with cold water.
- Stir with a fork paying attention to the sides and corners.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean).
- This recipe doubles easily into a 9"x13" pan.
Flavor good, but mine also turned out very, very dense, almost like brownies...I probably won't make this one again. It rose ok, but then fell quite a bit, unlike the chocolate recipes I've made. I think it was the custard powder.
Dense texture, not a bad taste though. Wasn't what I was looking for.
This was simple to make, however it has a dense texture and a strong aftertaste. Sorry.