Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Traditionally Wacky Cake is chocolate but my Mom needed a white cake when I was young so she made a small change to the recipe by adding custard powder instead of cocoa. My wife keeps up the tradition (wacky cakes are the only cakes we make) and chooses the color of cake depending on the occasion. It is a great cake on a summer afternoon topped with whipped cream and your favourite fresh fruit.
- Sift flour, sugar, custard powder,soda and salt into an ungreased 8"x8" baking dish.
- Punch 3 holes in the flour mixture and add the shortening in the largest hole, vinegar in the next and vanilla in the last hole.
- Cover with cold water.
- Stir with a fork paying attention to the sides and corners.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean).
- This recipe doubles easily into a 9"x13" pan.