Traditionally Wacky Cake is chocolate but my Mom needed a white cake when I was young so she made a small change to the recipe by adding custard powder instead of cocoa. My wife keeps up the tradition (wacky cakes are the only cakes we make) and chooses the color of cake depending on the occasion. It is a great cake on a summer afternoon topped with whipped cream and your favourite fresh fruit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour, sugar, custard powder,soda and salt into an ungreased 8"x8" baking dish.
- 2Punch 3 holes in the flour mixture and add the shortening in the largest hole, vinegar in the next and vanilla in the last hole.
- 3Cover with cold water.
- 4Stir with a fork paying attention to the sides and corners.
- 5Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean).
- 6This recipe doubles easily into a 9"x13" pan.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jean's White Wacky Cake
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.3
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 405.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 33.4 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: