Recipe by KrisVonD
We had this the morning after Christmas. This is another of my MIL's recipes. Gosh...her house smelled wonderful when this was baking. I haven't cooked this recipe myself, but my kids and DH want me to. The Apple Cider Syrup recipe is being posted and I will post it's recipe #. This tastes like it should be served with Cool Whip.
Top Review by Sherrybeth
Goodness gracious heavenly days....this stuff is addicting. A perfect texture and the flavor is very good. This was my last Spring PAC 2007 recipe and it is definitely worth keeping. Thanks Kris....I'll be making this again and again.
- 1 lb loaf French bread, unsliced, cubed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk or 2 1⁄2 cups light cream or 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 6 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
APPLE CIDER SYRUP (use 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter (I like Cabot's)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9 pan.
- Cut bread into cubes (you should end up with about 12 cups).
- Place half bread cubes in pan.
- Top with cream cheese cubes.
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- Beat together eggs, milk, melted butter, and maple syrup.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread cubes and cream cheese.
- Slightly press down with spatula to moisten.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and bake in oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 45 minutes or until center appears set and edges are lightly golden.
- Top with Apple Cider Syrup. Recipe is posted.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.