Recipe by Foxgirl
Another family classic from my aunt--this is a great and uncommon holiday dish that gets rave reviews. Perfect for potluck or other get-togethers, it's also one of those foods that tastes even better the next day, or the day after that (be sure to keep it refrigerated, of course!).
- 1 1⁄2 heads lettuce, shredded (or 1 large head)
- 1 cup green onion, chopped (tops, too!)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can green peas
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup bacon bits
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat up the green peas in their liquid, then drain and let cool.
- In a long glass dish, layer lettuce, onions, green bell peppers, celery and peas in that order--taking care to sprinkle the sugar evenly over each layer of peas.
- (If you only end up with one layer of each item, that's fine, too--it just depends on the dish you use.) Cover top layer with the mayonnaise, then sprinkle on the bacon bits and shredded cheese.
- Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate overnight, then serve and enjoy!