Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
These are my mother's world famous lamb shanks. They are absolutely delicious, the meat literally falls off the bone. Serve with vegetables and mashed potatoes. Wonderful with Merlot! It just sets off the flavours. Fabulous to serve for a dinner party as you can socialise and get everything ready because they cook for so long.
- 4 lamb shanks
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cm square piece of finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 177.44 ml sweet soy sauce
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 59.16 ml mint sauce, homemade is better though (either store bought or homemade)
- Mix all of ingredients and pour over shanks.
- Marinate for a minimum of four hours or overnight (for best flavour overnight is the best, turning shanks every so often, keep in fridge covered when marinating.
- Bake covered in marinade on very slow oven 125°C or 250°F for 5 hours.
Wow oh wow,is this ever good! So simple to make with so few ingredients and yet so full of flavour. Halfway through cooking my mouth was watering, the house smelled divine. I served these with creamy mashed potatoes, steamed carrots and baby peas..spooned the jus over the meat and potatoes. Absolutely wonderful, thanks for sharing a great recipe.
These were great. Even the teenager hit the door and asked what smelled so good - and that never happens! lol. These were simple to make and tasted so good. Thanks for posting this recipe.
These were very good. Easy to make with ingredients on hand. I served with my smashed potatoes Smashed Potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts. Both my girls enjoyed it alot. Thanks for posting.