Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Got this recipe from a co-worker very good.....
- 1 (2 lb) bag dried black-eyed peas
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, small diced
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 slices fresh bacon, diced
- 2 cups Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch fresh green onion, small diced
- 3 tablespoons blackening seasoning
- salt & pepper
- First pour the dry peas onto a cookie sheet and sort through for any foreign objects or tiny pebbles. Thoroughly rinse the peas under cool water for several minutes in a strainer.
- Heat a large stockpot on high. Add the diced bacon and sausage and let cook until brown and the fat has released. Add the onions, green pepper, garlic and green beans, sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add the bay leaf and ½ of the blackening seasoning and stir, allowing the seasoning to form on the vegetables and the bottom of the pot. Add chicken stock and peas and bring to a simmer be careful not to boil. Simmer at a gentle pace until tender, approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours. Add additional stock if there is little liquid left. When they have reached the desired doneness add the tomatoes, remaining seasoning, green onions, and the additional salt and pepper as desired. Serve over hot steamed rice.