Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A mild flavored rice that cooks up light and fluffy. Like the rice served at most mexican restaurants. This is a great basic recipe that can be easily adjusted for taste. If you like it hotter just add 2 Tbs. of diced jalepeno peppers (or more).The boullion is from Knorr and is called Caldo de Tomate (not in Recipezaar's index. I was told to never use any other oil other than Canola oil or the recipe does not come out right. Therefore, substitute oils at your own risk.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (no substitutes)
- 2 (14 ounce) cansswanson's fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced fresh onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato bouillon with chicken flavor
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro leaves
- 1 dash black pepper
- Pour canola oil into a large saucepan.
- Add rice and fry on medium heat until light golden brown.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic and fry until rice is a medium golden brown and onions are softened.
- Add all other ingredients. Stir together.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and set aside covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
I made this just yesterday for my MIL's Birthday party and I made mexican and used this recipe (doubled) for a side dish. This rice was Awesome! No chunks of anything and a great flavor! I'm SO glad I found this recipe! Thank you for sharing! UPDATE: I found another rice recipe on here that suggested that you rinse the rice until the water runs clear. This gives the rice a great texture and its not wet, its fluffy like the mexican restaurants do it. I like the flavor of this recipe better though. Just a suggestion for you rice lovers!
I was looking for a mexican rice recipe similar to the restraunt I like and I printed several off to take home and test. Yours was the second one I tried and after making it I knew I had found what I was looking for. I took it to a fellowship dinner with some of our church people and everyone loved and the ladies wanted the recipe. It was perfect! Thanks for your submission.