Recipe by jamesir bensonmum
This is a great stuffed cabbage recipe that my wife learned from her german- born mother. It's even better the next day.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- place cabbage in water in a large saucepot, bring to a boil.
- in a large skillet, brown beef and sausage until no longer pink.
- remove from heat and stir in cooked rice and 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- As cabbage cooks begin to remove the outer leaves. This takes a little time to work through the entire head so be patient, you want the leaves to come off in one piece.
- Layer the bottom of a 9" x 13" casserole dish ( you'll probably need two)with saurkraut.
- stuff cabbage leaves with meat mixture and roll up tucking in the ends.
- place stuffed cabbage in dish on top of saurkraut cover with remainder of saurkraut and tomato sauce.
- cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.