Recipe by CanadianFarmgal
It is a winner. My most requested recipe. Secrets are: Frying the spice into the ground beef before adding the liquids - develops the flavor. Finishing off with the red wine vinegar and the molasses adds depth. Letting it sit overnight and reheating gives it a chance to get glorious - optional but recommended.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 19 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 11 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup salsa
- 14 ounces baked beans in tomato sauce
- 19 ounces white kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 4 teaspoons chili powder (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in heavy pot on medium heat.
- Add onion and celery. Continue cooking until onion starts to soften.
- Add the garlic and all the seasonings. Continue cooking for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the red wine vinegar and the molasses. Stir well, turn heat to low and continue to cook for 30 min, stirring occasionally. If it appears dry, add a bit of water. If it appears too liquid, don't despair -- it will thicken if left overnight to develop.
- Remove from heat. Add the red wine vinegar and the molasses.
- Let sit overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat the next day and enjoy.
- If you are lacking tomato sauce or just like the beefy taste, add another can of tomato paste and a can of beef consomme.
- Adding a can of peaches and cream corn is a nice change.
- Want a browner rather than a redder chili? Add some gravy browner.