Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Baked French toast with Pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb unsliced loaf challah (cut into 1 1/4 in. thick slices) or 1 lb other egg bread (cut into 1 1/4 in. thick slices)
- additional warm maple syrup
- ***Assemble a Day Ahead****.
- Stir butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup of syrup in heavy medium sized saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth.
- Transfer to 13"by9" by 2" glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle pecans over butter mixture.
- Whisk eggs, haf and half, cinnamon and vanilla in large bowl to blend.
- Dip bread slices in to egg mixture and arrange in single layer in prepared dish.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over bread slices in dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered until golden brown -- about 40 minutes.
Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Everyone loved it for Christmas breakfast. The pecans, brown sugar and butter in the bottom of the dish give the bottom of the french toast a "sticky bun" layer. So good!
I cubed the challah, and dipped all cubes in the egg mixture, and filled the casserole dish right up, pressing down lightly. That way, I could cut servings in any size I liked.