Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From my Great Aunt's recipe collection. My Aunt was a member of a gourmet supper club, and Jeanne was one of the members. This is Jeanne's recipe.
- 1 head lettuce, any kind,washed,dried,cored,hand torn
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber, thinly sliced or diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped or sliced
- 1⁄2 cup good quality olive, pitted
- 2 tomatoes, sliced or wedged
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Mix together dressing in a blender and chill well until serving time; prep and chill the remaining salad ingredients, covered, in a separate decorative bowl.
- Before serving toss together all salad ingredients and serve with dressing on the side.
- You may have extra dressing left over.
Once again a winning recipe of Italian dressing that does not contain sugar, but adds the mustard powder. A perfect summer salad recipe. Thank you.
I used romaine lettuce and since there were so many different tastes in salad ingredients, I made the salads on individual salad plates and adjusting the ingredients to suit each individual taste. The dressing is a very nice addition to the fresh ingredients. Well seasoned and not overpowering.
I'm sorry to give this just 3 stars, especially since it has gotten better ones. Maybe you have to be a real salad lover to appreciate this salad. For us, it was just okay. The dressing is nice, but I think my family would have to have cheese and croutons on the salad for us to really enjoy it.