Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was copied out of a very very long thread of stuffing recipe favorites on the eGullet website. This one is the best stuffing I have made (and I've tried a lot!) It's good for cornbread and traditional bread enthusiasts so no one misses out on the glory of stuffing!
- 8 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 6 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 tart apples, chunked (don't peel)
- 1 lb bulk sage sausage (turkey is fine!)
- 3 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups coarsely crumbled whole wheat bread, homemade if possible
- 3 cups coarsely crumbled white bread, homemade if possible
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, minced (to taste...this really makes a difference, adds fabulous flavor!!)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup dried cherries or 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup turkey broth
- Melt 4 TBSP butter in skillet. Add onions & celery and cook partially covered until onion is tender. Transfer to huge bowl. Melt remaining butter in same skillet. Add apples and cook over high heat until colored lightly, but not mushy. Put in same bowl. Brown sausage in same skillet; drain; add to bowl. Add remaining ingredients, mixing lightly with hands or wooden spoons. Cool completely before stuffing into bird.
- For extra casserole (and there will be one!).
- Place stuffing in buttered dish and cover with lid or foil. Place in larger pan. Fill larger pan with hot water 1/2 way up the sides. Bake at 325 30-40 minute Can baste with turkey juices or broth if it needs moisture. If you are baking outside of the bird, you will definitely need broth -- anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup depending on how moist you want the stuffing.
- This can also be made in the crockpot.