1/1 Photo of Jeanie's Crumb Topped Coffee Cake
This recipe came from one of those little books you find at the grocery store checkout. My friend, Jeanie, gave this recipe to me years ago. Coffee cake has never been on my "top ten" things that I like to make, but I suppose I made it the first time because of company coming. Needless to say, it is a family favorite. Notice the small amount of cocoa that is used. that is the key ingredient! I automatically double the ingredients and bake in a 9x13 pan. You might as well do the same!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash clove
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use powdered buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup raisins (I do not use)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1For the buttermilk, you can also place 1 TBS.
- 2vinegar into a one cup measure.
- 3Add milk to the one cup line.
- 4Let mixture sit for 10- 15 minutes.
- 5It will curdle, that's okay!
- 6Mix together flour and sugar.
- 7Cut butter into this, using pastry blender until butter is in small pea size pieces.
- 8(I sometimes use a fork and knife to mix!).
- 9Reserve 1 cup of this flour mixture and set aside.
- 10Into remaining flour/ butter mixture, measure baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- 11Mix well.
- 12Add buttermilk and mix well again.
- 13Batter will be thin, like water.
- 14Pour into greased, 9x9 baking pan.
- 15Sprinkle the reserved 1 cup flour/butter mixture on top.
- 16Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over all.
- 17Bake 350* for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jeanie's Crumb Topped Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.4
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 28.2 mg
- Sodium 248.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 22.6 g
- Protein 4.4 g