Recipe by petlover
I know there are alot of challah recipes on here but this is really great! I use bread flour but the recipe calls for all purpose. I also use the kitchenaid mixer to make the dough. This challah is not too sweet , if you like a sweeter challah then add 1 Tb honey and increase the sugar to 4 tsp.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water (110 F)
- 4 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg yolk
- poppy seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Combine yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- 2. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and drop the eggs, oil, remaining water and yeast mixture into the hole.
- 3. Work into flour a little at a time ( you may not need the whole amount or you made need more.) Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, covered, and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- 4. Divide the dough int 3 pieces and roll into 3 ropes. Braid ropes and place into oiled pan. Cover and let rise again until doubled.
- 5. Brush with egg yolks ( sprinkle poppy seeds). Bake in 375 F oven ( preheated) for 40 minutes or until nicely browned.