Prep 3 hrs
Cook 50 mins
I know there are alot of challah recipes on here but this is really great! I use bread flour but the recipe calls for all purpose. I also use the kitchenaid mixer to make the dough. This challah is not too sweet , if you like a sweeter challah then add 1 Tb honey and increase the sugar to 4 tsp.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water (110 F)
- 4 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg yolk
- poppy seed (optional)
- 1. Combine yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- 2. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and drop the eggs, oil, remaining water and yeast mixture into the hole.
- 3. Work into flour a little at a time ( you may not need the whole amount or you made need more.) Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, covered, and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- 4. Divide the dough int 3 pieces and roll into 3 ropes. Braid ropes and place into oiled pan. Cover and let rise again until doubled.
- 5. Brush with egg yolks ( sprinkle poppy seeds). Bake in 375 F oven ( preheated) for 40 minutes or until nicely browned.
It's in the oven now so it's too early top rate. However, you need more flour than called for in this recipe so don't be shy about adding lots more slowly.