Recipe by kahlefamily
This recipe is one that I have developed over the years by incorporating my favorite parts of many different recipes. It is kind of decadent and rich, but what can you do? That's what I like about it. I "cook by sight" so I am estimating the measurements, and you can add or take away as you see fit. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1⁄2 of a whole chicken
- water, to cover chcken (or enough to make it float)
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dried porccini mushroom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 -2 sprig fresh rosemary (on stem)
- 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 3 -4 carrots
- 3 -4 potatoes
- 2 small zucchini
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Chicken: Remove giblets, rince and put in pot, with enough water to cover it. I usually put in enough water to make it float a little- too much water makes a less flavorfull broth!
- Boil chicken.
- While chicken is boiling, chop the onion and celary. I chop it fine so that my kids have a harder time picking it out, but you can make it as big as you want.
- In a seperate pot, fry the onions and celary until cooked through- the onions will become translucent.
- Chop mushroom.
- Add mushrooms, marsala, parsley, sage, thyme and sprigs of rosemary. LEAVE THE ROSEMARY ON THE STEM! I have found that while rosemary adds a nice flavor, it doesn't really soften up, if you leave it on the stem you can take it out easier when you are ready to serve.
- Cook the marsala-mixture for a few minutes until it begins to thicken. BE CAREFUL, once it cooks down it burns easy.
- Remove this mixture from heat.
- Peel the carrots, zucchini and potatoes, if you like (I do not) and chop them.
- When the chicken is finished cooking through, remove it from the broth and allow it to cool until you can shred it and add it to the marsala mixture. Keep the broth.
- Take a few cups of the broth from the boiled chicken and add it to the marsala mixture. Add carrots and bring to a boil.
- A minute or so after this mixture begins to boil, add the potatoes, then zucchini.
- Allow veggies to cook through and remove soup from heat.
- Serve with a good crustie bread.