Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe from The Idaho Potato Commission
- 10 idaho potatoes (5 lbs.)
- 2 3⁄4 quarts chicken stock (5 1/2 lbs.)
- 3⁄4 cup margarine (6 oz.)
- 4 1⁄2 cups diced onions (1 3/4 lbs.)
- 2 cups diced celery (1 lb.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (6 oz.)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz.)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (6 oz.)
- 3⁄4 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream (6 oz.)
- white pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onion (6 oz.)
- Bake Idaho Potatoes.
- Cool, peel and cut into large chunks.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Melt margarine in a non-reactive pot.
- Add onions and celery; sauté about 5 minutes. Add flour; cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken stock, blending well. Bring to a boil.
- Add Idaho Potatoes; reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, cream and bacon; heat through.
- Remove soup from heat; stir in sour cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each serving with green onions, additional crumbled bacon and herbs, if desired.
Excellent soup! My family loved it!
This soup is delicious! I also added in a couple tablespoons fresh minced garlic when sauteeing the onions and celery, I used butter in place of margarine and reduced it to 1/2 cup, I love this soup and plan on making it many times again, thanks for sharing Kitty!...Kitten :)