Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Named after the "gentleman pirate" of New Orleans, Jean Lafitte, this salad is a terrific way to recycle leftovers into something new and wonderful. This hearty salad comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1 cup meat, cooked and diced (cold)
- 1⁄2 cup potato, cooked peeled and diced (cold)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, cooked and diced (cold)
- 1⁄2 cup green beans, cooked (cold)
- 1⁄2 cup oil-and-vinegar dressing (French Dressing (Not Catalina Style), store bought or your own recipe)
- 2 sweet pickles or 2 gherkins, chopped
- 1 egg, hard cooked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- Mix meat and vegetables with oil and vinegar dressing; let stand for an hour.
- Add pickles egg and mayonnaise.
- Chill and serve on a bed of lettuce leaves or mesclun.