Pixie's Kitchen's Note:
The original recipe for these wonderfully decadent cakes, a great idea for making them for Valentine's Day or any other special occasion. I included the neat bit of trivia for how these wonderful cakes came to be. Sometimes that best creations come from accidents :) TRIVIA: These cakes were supposedly created when Vongerichten was creating a new dessert recipe and pulled them out of the oven precipitately. When he cut into it one, instead of the dense crumb he expected, a center of molten chocolate oozed out, and a classic was born. — Linda Avery
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the butter and chocolate together until the chocolate is almost completely melted. While that's heating, beat together the eggs, yolks, and sugar with a whisk or electric beater until light and thick.
- 2Beat together the melted chocolate and butter; it should be quite warm. Pour in the egg mixture, then quickly beat in the flour, just until combined.
- 3Butter and lightly flour four 4-ounce molds, custard cups, or ramekins. Tap out the excess flour, then butter and flour them again. Divide the batter among the molds. (At this point you can refrigerate the desserts until you are ready to eat, for up to several hours; bring them back to room temperature before baking.).
- 4Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Bake the molds on a tray for 6 to 7 minutes; the center will still be quite soft, but the sides will be set.
- 5Invert each mold onto a plate and let sit for about 10 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one corner of the mold; the cake will fall out onto the plate. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jean-Georges Vongerichten Molten Chocolate Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.9
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 261.1 mg
- Sodium 41.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 4.7 g