1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Simply put, the most delicious clams casino I've ever had. Even people who don't like clams love these! Preparing the clams is a little time consuming. But this is when they expel the sand that they contain inside. If you skip this step you will wind up with a gritty appetizer. These can be prepared in advance and kept in refrigerator until baking.
My Private Note
half sh ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 dozen top neck clams (bigger than little neck, smaller than cherry stone)
- 2/3 cup sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cracker crumb (I use butter crackers or saltines, but trying others could be interesting)
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 lb bacon, chopped in small squares
- 1Rinse and scrub clams with a soft-bristled brush in cold water. Any clams that are open and do not snap shut should be discarded to prevent food poisoning.
- 2Soak the clams in a mix of 1 gallon water with 1/3 cup of sea salt for 15 minutes.
- 3Drain, rinse and scrub the clams again.
- 4Soak the clams in a fresh mix of 1 gallon water with 1/3 cup of sea salt for 15 more minutes.
- 5Drain, rinse and scrub the clams again.
- 6Steam clams in pot with 1" of water using a glass lid. When the clams pop open, remove from pot and allow to cool. Reserve the water (called 'clam juice') from the bottom of the pan.
- 7When clams cool, remove from shells and mince.
- 8Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. Saute parsley, onion, green pepper and garlic 5-10 min until soft but not brown. Remove from heat.
- 9Combine spices and cracker crumbs, add to saute pan.
- 10Add enough clam juice to moisten. Add minced clams.
- 11Pick the best 24 half-shells and fill with clam mixture. Top with bacon pieces. Place on baking sheet.
- 12Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Then brown under the broiler for 2 minutes. Serve on a bed of lettuce with lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jb's Incredibly Awesome Clams Casino
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.5
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.3 mg
- Sodium 19380.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 18.0 g