Tender rice, juicy chicken and LOTS of flavor from herbs and smoky sausage combined in an EASY one-dish perfect for casual weekend entertaining.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs chicken pieces, skinned (bone in)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces spicy smoked sausage, thinly sliced (such as chorizo)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (green, red or yellow)
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, sliced
- In a bowl, dredge chicken in flour, turning to coat all sides. In large sauce-pan, heat oil over medium heat: brown chicken, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, cook sausage, garlic, onion, peppers, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, oregano, salt, allspice, and cayenne, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until peppers are softened. stir in rice. Add stock and bay leaves.
- Nestle chicken into rice, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Remove bay leaves. Serve sprinkled with parsley. Garnish with lemon wedges.