Miso soup is the ultimate comfort food for us. Don't let this recipe scare you away! It is much simpler to prepare that it appears. We usually serve this with a green salad with peanut/ginger sauce. Sometimes we even have this for breakfast on a cold day (not many of those in Houston)! The ingredients can be found in any Asian market or on-line Asian grocery stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
To Make DASHI
- 2 pieces dried kelp, kombo (2-3 inch piece)
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 cup packaged dried tuna bonito flakes (KATSO BUSHI)
To Make MISO
- 1/2 cup dried wakame seaweed (a type of seaweed)
- 1/4 cup shiro miso (white/yellow fermented soy bean paste)
- 6 cups dashi
- 1/2 lb soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (scallions)
- 1/2 cup chopped baby bok choy (optional)
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- 1/4 cup julienned carrot (optional)
- 12 -18 individual snow peas (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1Prepare Dashi as follows.
- 2Wipe any sand or salt from the Kombo with a damp cloth.
- 3Bring Kombo and water to a boil in a large pot over high heat.
- 4Remove Kombo with tongs and discard.
- 5Remove pot from heat and sprinkle Katso Bushi flakes over liquid in pot and let stand for 3 minutes.
- 6Pour"broth" through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into another large pot, discard the Katso Bushi (tuna flakes).
- 7Dashi is now made.
- 8Prepare Miso soup as follows.
- 9Reconstitute Wakame by covering in warm water for about 15 minutes, drain and cut into strips.
- 10Stir together the Miso paste and about 1/2 cup of Dashi in a bowl until smooth, set aside.
- 11Re-heat remaining Dashi over high heat, add baby bok choy, bean sprouts, carrots, snow peas, crushed red pepper, and soy sauce.
- 12Cook until veges are soft but still crisp.
- 13Add Wakame strips and tofu and simmer for one minute.
- 14Remove from heat and immediately stir in Miso/Dashi mixture and green onions.
- 15Stir and serve immediately.
- 16I realize I don't have the ingredients in the order that they are used, sorry about that, but I think you will quickly get the hang of it.
- 17Do give this a try, you will see that although it looks complicated, it is very simple.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jazzy Miso Soup
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 41.5
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 312.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried tuna bonito flakes