i am always looking for great vegan recipes. putting those i discovered on veganchef.com here so i do not lose them and can keep track of the nutritional information.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagemultigrain tempeh
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons tamari or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, destemmed, deseeded, and diced
- 1 cup red pepper, destemmed, deseeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeno, destemmed, deseeded, and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, rinsed (or other white rice)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups water
- 2 cups tomatoes, deseeded, and diced (or 1 - 14 oz. can diced tomatoes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained, and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- Using your fingers, crumble the tempeh into small pieces onto a plate.
- In a large pot, saute the tempeh in 2 T. olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 T. Creole Seasoning over the tempeh and saute an additional 1 minute.
- Add the tamari, stir well to coat the tempeh, and continue to cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer the tempeh to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pot, saute the onion, celery, green pepper, red pepper, and jalapeno in the remaining 2 T. olive oil for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the rice and garlic, stir well to combine, and continue to cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until the rice turns opaque.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, remaining Creole Seasoning, bay leaf, and salt, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove the lid, add the reserved tempeh and remaining ingredients, stir well to combine, and recover the pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Can be served as a side dish, main dish, or as a filling for wraps or sandwiches.