Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Light&Tasty magazine, this perks up Mom's traditional tuna casserole. It's sure to be comfort food for the whole family.
- 3 cups uncooked yolk-free wide egg noodles
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated, and mixed with
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain. In a large bowl, combine the noodles, tuna, zucchini, sour cream, celery, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, thyme, oregano and salt; mix well. Spoon half into a 2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Top with tomato. cover and bake at 350*F. for 30-35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
This is the lightest and tastiest tuna casserole I've had. I made this especially for work lunches and it's perfect. Thanks, Sharon! Made for Aussie Kiwi Recipe Swap 44, September 2010.
WOW... I was looking for a recipe using zucchini and tuna... boy what a scrumptious meal!! I served it with garlic bread (double starch, ok) and it was delicious! I followed the recipe exactly... wonderful comfort food!
excellent! I used whole wheat noodles, and threw in peas as well. Sprinkled a bit of good quality Romano over the top before baking. Otherwise, followed to a T and it turned out great. As with most casseroles, it was even better leftover the next day, reheated for lunch with a side salad. My husband raved and asked to put it in the monthly rotation. Thanks again for another great recipe Sharon!