Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These hotdogs are wonderful--so much better than just your ketchup or mustard topping.
- 1 lb hot dog
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 11 3⁄4 ounces condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper, seeded
- Score hotdogs in corkscrew fashion and lightly brown in butter.
- Stir in next 7 ingredients; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add green pepper; cover and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Serve in buns.
id like to give this 5 stars, but useign the whole can of soup i had to double up the sugar, vinegar and worcestershire to get the flavor i was expecting - but it was what i was hopeing for. i dont like onions or peppers so i just put in some onion powder - i tried to get it to thicken up alittle by cooking an extra 5 minutes uncovered - but it was still sorta soupy - next time ill decrease the water - but thats not the recipes fault there was an extra 4 tbsp of liquid because of adding the extra vinegar and worchesshire sauce - just my prefrence. It was a bit of a mess because of how soupy it was, but hey.. its hotdogs
I haven't seen this recipe since the 70s! It's a great recession buster for my family table. Instead of serving it in buns I serve it over wide egg noodles.
I made these franks and they wes delisc! And so very easy. The "hardest" part was getting the ingredients together...hhahahaha. There was a bit more sauce than I thought necessary, but that worked out fine. I used the extra sauce to poach some boneless chicken breasts I had in the freezer. They were perfect. Now I have a new recipe! Thank you. Lee