Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Beets are good for us - full of Vitamin C, folate, potassium and fiber. But if you are like me, you hardly ever eat them! The orange flavour in these beets is a fun twist to a vegetable that doesn't deserve the faces made at the thought of eating them
- 2 lbs beets
- 3 green onions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Leaving root end intact, trim tops from beets, leaving about 1-inch (2.5 cm) stem. In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook beets for 25 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain and let cool enough to handle. Slip off skins; quarter beets.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice green onions; set light and dark green parts aside separately.
- In shallow Dutch oven or sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook light green parts of onions, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper for about 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in orange rind and juice; boil for 30 seconds or until reduced by half.
- Stir in beets; cook, covered and stirring once, for about 4 minutes or until beets are heated through. Sprinkle with dark green parts of green onions.
This time I didn't cut the recipe in half, 'cause I was pretty sure these beets would taste a good cold as they were probably gonna taste served the 1st time around, & I was right ~ Absolutely delicious! A couple of slight changes were made, though: I was very generous with the zest, & I used lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P! Will certainly be making these again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Went to the Market recipe tag]
This was a pretty quick recipe (it did take longer to cook than 25 mins for me, but I steamed them), simple and tasty. I thought the amount of orange was perfect, wouldn't want anymore. This made a nice change from roasted or pickled beets we tend to have. I prefer them cold, these will go perfectly in a leafy green salad. Thanks Deantini!
Very tasty and easy to make. I didn't have green onions and used sweet onions. It still was tasty!