Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a simple, no fuss meal that starts with inexpensive, commonly found ingredients. This dish is popular with kids, and yet it satisfies the "meat and potatoes" man. You can also use canned sliced potatoes, which cuts down the cooking time quite considerably, but I prefer to use fresh. Make extra potatoes to heat up for breakfast with your eggs...yummy!!
- 10 -12 potatoes, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings,and seperated
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 -6 hot dogs, sliced into coins
- In electric skillet or large frying pan, melt butter and add onions.
- Add potatoes and seasonings, and combine well.
- Cover, and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours, turning occasionally.
- In medium saucepan, combine beans, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, onion, salt and peppper, and sliced hot dogs.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 min.
- ,or until heated through.
This is a pretty good dish but my potatoes burned--so they must be watched very carefully--maybe they need more butter so they won't burn so easily. However we liked the beans & franks part of this recipe very much even though I used 8 hotdogs (the whole package) instead of the amount specified. We had this dish with brown bread and Aunt Emma's Bread Pudding Aunt Emma's Bread Pudding for a great old-fashioned Friday night supper that we all enjoyed.
I agree with Manda, inexpensive ingredients all commonly found in the kitchen. I thought both dishes delivered as best they could given that they are what they are ~ simple dishes. The next day my folks were looking for the leftovers. What !!! None left !!! I rest my case, enjoy ...
I haven't tried this yet, but I have tried my version, which is like yours and it is a great inexpensive dinner and so easy and tasty. I don't do dairy so I don't use butter for the potatoes. But I also add sweet corn bread squares and what a meal! Thanks.