1 hr 45 mins
For some, Jazz Fest can be a religious experience. For locals, it is a yearly pilgrimige and for myself, Sweet Potato Pone is the holy grail. I am still working on the crunchy, crumbly "crust" but this recipe for the filling is the closest I have come to the real deal. If you are ever in the neighborhood of New Orleans during late April or early May, stop by Jazz Fest and try out the Pone. It will be in the same vendor tent as the Greenbean Artichoke Casserole. Or you could just try mine! Cook time includes the time to bake the Sweet Potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (do not include the white pith, which is bitter)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Cook the potatoes unpeeled until tender throughout.
- 3Let cool, Peel and mash the potatoes, then stir in melted butter.
- 4In a bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar.
- 5Add milk, vanilla, molasses, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and orange zest.
- 6Beat until well blended.
- 7Stir into mashed sweet potatoes, then mix until well blended.
- 8Place the mixture into a buttered 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- 9Optionally, you may sprinkle the top of the pone with additional brown sugar.
- 10Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes; uncover, then bake for 10 minutes.
- 11Allow the pone to cool completely before serving.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jazz Fest Sweet Potato Pone
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.1
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 93.6 mg
- Sodium 394.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 5.8 g