Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was given by Jaysun 23 to members of the Regional Forum. Since I've been looking and find he never officially posted it to Zaar, I felt I should do it for him, since the recipe seemed exceptional. It is from the Horse & Plow in the American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin. Hope he doesn't mind! (Of course, Wisconsin cheeses are recommended!) This makes a large pot of soup.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 quarts milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 lb shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded swiss cheese
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlewisconsin beer (Jaysun recommends New Glarus Spotted Cow, but may substitute a slightly fruity flavored ale)
- In a 1½ gallon soup pot, melt butter then saute onion and garlic until tender.
- Add flour and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently over medium heat.
- Add milk and whip with a whisk to blend in milk. Add bay leaves. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cheeses, stirring in one direction only until thoroughly mixed and cheese is melted. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in beer, top with seasoned croutons and serve.
- Yields 12 - 14 servings.
Excellent soup, warms you out, the recipe is exact to what I had at the Horse and Plow, except there is no snow in South Florida!!