Recipe by Mareesme
This was given by Jaysun 23 to members of the Regional Forum. Since I've been looking and find he never officially posted it to Zaar, I felt I should do it for him, since the recipe seemed exceptional. It is from the Horse & Plow in the American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin. Hope he doesn't mind! (Of course, Wisconsin cheeses are recommended!) This makes a large pot of soup.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 quarts milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 lb shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded swiss cheese
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlewisconsin beer (Jaysun recommends New Glarus Spotted Cow, but may substitute a slightly fruity flavored ale)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 1½ gallon soup pot, melt butter then saute onion and garlic until tender.
- Add flour and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently over medium heat.
- Add milk and whip with a whisk to blend in milk. Add bay leaves. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cheeses, stirring in one direction only until thoroughly mixed and cheese is melted. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in beer, top with seasoned croutons and serve.
- Yields 12 - 14 servings.