Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping, lots of fresh ingredients to gussy up canned tuna. Two ounces of pasta is a serving, but DH would be very upset if that's all he got. Found on the internet by Javier Julio, and tweaked it a little.
Top Review by averybird
This was a great tuna dish, much enjoyed. Made exactly as written, sans the pimiento pepper, and served over mixed salad greens. I think this dish is best served at room temperature right after it is made. When it is cooled in the fridge the sauce is absorbed. However its easy to warm back up briefly in the microwave and then toss with olive oil to rehydrate. I would maybe add roasted red pepper strips or cherry tomatoes for more color (unfortunately I'm not a fan of pimientos) and extra basil too! The basil is such a lovely addition. Thanks to KateL and also to Karen Elizabeth as I made this on her recommendation. [Made for the I Recommend Tag].
- 4 -8 ounces farfalle pasta
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 10 ounces tuna in water, drained
- 4 -5 spring onions, chopped
- 10 -15 large fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 20 black olives, chopped
- 1 -2 roasted pimiento, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, peel lemon and slice the lemon zest finely. Squeeze lemon juice and remove seeds.
- Break the drained tuna into small pieces. Complete chopping of spring onions, basil leaves, olives (and pimientos, if using).
- In a large skillet on medium heat, pour about 1/4 cup of olive oil and warm it lightly. Saute the spring onions for about 2 minutes. Once finished, turn off heat.
- Add in the lemon zest, basil, olives, tuna, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix the sauce well.
- Warm the sauce lightly just before adding in the pasta.
- Drain pasta, reserving about ½ cup of pasta water.
- Toss the pasta in with the sauce. Add in a small amount of the reserved pasta water, and mix well before serving. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.