Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a traditional Indonesian recipe for fried chicken, but I have made it a bit healthier - it still tastes good but I have substituted the frying for grilling and steaming the chicken first instead of simmering in coconut milk. I use drumsticks but you could use chicken thighs (with bone) or traditionally a whole chicken disected into small pieces. You do need to leave the skin on the chicken or it won't crisp up when grilled. If you can find fresh tumeric root use about 1 cm piece, it has a more intense flavour
- Combine the spices, tamarind, salt and garlic cloves. Add enough water to make a moist paste.
- Add the chicken to the paste and massage into the chicken flesh. You make want to wear gloves as the tumeric can stain your skin.
- Marinade for a couple of hours in the fridge.
- Pour the coconut milk over chicken and place in a dish in a single layer.
- Place in a steamer and steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove and grill turning to brown evenly.
This was a total surprise. I selected this recipe thinking it was going to be fried chicken. We love anything fried but this recipe is not fried at all. Instead, it's steamed and grilled. I used the ingredients for the marinade and steamed without the coconut milk for 20 minutes. The chicken was already tasty by then. Instead of grilling, I pan sauteed without adding any extra fat or oil and the chicken came out succulent and full of flavor. I think grilling these will work perfectly too. Thank you Coasty for posting this recipe. Made for Asian forum's unrated Asian recipe tag.