Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is an American/Canadian adaptation of a Finnish tradition. Normally beef stew meat would be used but hamburger makes an easier meal to put together on short notice.
- 1 medium turnip, diced 1 inch
- 5 large potatoes, diced 1 inch
- 5 carrots, sliced 1 inch
- 3 stalks celery, sliced 1 inch
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced 1 inch
- 1 lb hamburger, chopped into 1 inch size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 12 allspice berries or 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 4 dried bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- In a crockpot, add the vegetables, hamburger, spices and salt, to taste.
- Add enough cold water to cover everything by one inch over.
- Heat on low for 6-8 hours or overnight. Before serving, remove bay leaves and discard. Serve with a nice crusty bread.